Okay, so ya’ll need to slap me. I made this recipe yesterday and I didn’t take any pictures because I was just going to copy the recipe and paste it here. Well, don’t ya’ know that I can’t find WHERE I got this recipe from! I thought I had pinned it to my “Recipes I Want To Try” board, but it wasn’t there. And there are no web addresses on my paper. 😦 So no pictures. I will paint you a picture with words instead!! Whole wheat macaroni with a rich cheese sauce and healthy spinach, combined and cooked in a muffin tin. The result: cute little macaroni and cheese spinachey muffins to enjoy for lunch or a dinner side. Sure to hit the spot! 🙂
Macaroni & Cheese Spinach Muffins
- 4 cups COOKED whole wheat or high fiber macaroni (I used whole wheat – YAY ME!)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup skim milk ( I used 1%)
- 1 garlic clove, minced (I used the minced garlic in the jar)
- 3 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 oz Gruyère cheese, shredded (I used 6 ozs of 2% cheddar)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 10 oz package of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, drained and patted dry (or you could use 1 cup of fresh cooked spinach)
- salt & pepper to taste.
Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly mist a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray. In a small pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour, mixing it into the butter until thick. Stir in the milk and garlic and raise the temp to bring the mixture to just under a boil. Add the cheese and whisk mixture together until thoroughly combined into a cheese sauce.
Remove the cheese sauce from heat and then mix in the egg and egg white (binding agents) until combined. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, spinach, cheese sauce, salt and pepper and mix together. Spoon the mixture evenly into the cups of your muffin tin. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the tops are slightly browned. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin.
Yields 12 muffins. Weight Watcher Points Plus: 4 per muffin.
My thoughts on this recipe:
- I made this with Mueller’s whole wheat pasta because it’s the only brand of ww elbow macaroni that my store carried. It was good! Didn’t mind it at all.
- I only used a little more than 1/2 of the box of spinach. I think a whole box would have been a tad overwhelming.
- I would have preferred a little more of the cheese sauce. I found it a little dry. But then it would have had more calories, wouldn’t it?!?! =D
- It made way more than 12 muffins!! I had to do a side casserole dish as well.
- The muffins didn’t hold together when I took them out. I did manage to get about 6 out in the shape of a muffin. lol I think next time I’ll just make it in a 13×9 pan.
- It was very good. Hit the spot for me. I froze the muffins that managed to keep their shape and will have them for lunches. Stephanie did not care for the spinach. She said there was too much of it. She would prefer it with broccoli instead. 🙂
- Give it a try! I think you’ll like it!! 🙂
On a different note, I did something the other night that I’ve never done before in my life! I went to a Mary Kay party and had a little makeup makeover! I’ll be honest, I went in thinking I’m not buying anything! This stuff is going to cost a fortune and I’m just not spending my money on it. And then a funny thing happened. I absolutely loved the products! They were absolutely wonderful and made me look sooo good! The colors they chose for me were just perfect and everything was so light and smooth. No heavy, cakey, oily feel. I was sold. I bought it all. It was expensive, but it only takes a dab, so I know it will last for months. And no more guessing at Target, getting home, not liking what I bought and throwing it away. 🙂
So, if you see me out in public without make up on, feel free to ask me where my Mary Kay is!! 🙂
Took my Vit D today. Week 3. 5 more weeks to go and then a recheck.
Hope ya’ll have a great weekend!!